ONE-TO-ONE FUNDS GUIDELINES
Please read the financial program Guidelines carefully before completing this form.
ABOUT ONE-TO-ONE FUND AND GUIDELINES
The Bone Marrow Foundation’s One-to-One Funds assists transplant patients and their families by creating personal funds at the Foundation. A patient’s community, family, and friends can raise money that will be placed in the fund and used for that specific patient’s transplant-related expenses (see “Use of Funds” section below).
The patient must be affiliated with a certified transplant center and a social worker, nurse, or doctor at the transplant center must submit a letter verifying diagnosis and treatment before a new One-to-One Fund can be opened. The patient must be on track to have a bone marrow, stem cell, or cord blood transplant or still be receiving post-transplant care.
The Bone Marrow Foundation has found that families partnering with one organization for their fundraising efforts leads to optimal fundraising success. For this reason, our policy is that One-to-One participants cannot use other fundraising platforms in addition to their One-to-One Fund.
At least one fundraising coordinator must be designated for a One-to-One Fund. The fundraising coordinator can be a family member or friend who will be responsible for promoting the fund and managing fundraising activities. The Bone Marrow Foundation is not responsible for conducting fundraising efforts.
Responsible Family Member
Each patient should identify one family member or friend who will be responsible for issues related to the fund during times that the patient is receiving treatment or otherwise unable to make decisions about the fund. This includes requesting disbursements from the fund and closing the fund. This person can also act as the fundraising coordinator.
The Bone Marrow Foundation
The Bone Marrow Foundation will process all donations received by mail and online, provide each donor with a thank you letter and tax receipt, maintain a personalized webpage for the patient’s fund, make approved disbursements from the fund, and maintain accounting records for the fund. A fee of 5% of incoming donations will be charged by the Foundation to cover the costs of administering the fund, such as credit card processing, accounting services, website management, postage, etc. The remaining 95% will be available for the patient’s use. The patient’s fund will remain open for as long as needed. In the event that the patient no longer requires a One-To-One Fund, the remaining balance will be distributed to another patient receiving assistance from The Bone Marrow Foundation.
A personalized webpage on The Bone Marrow Foundation website is not required to open a One-to-One Fund, but it is suggested as it creates a place to share the patient’s story and provides a link for donors to contribute directly to the fund online. A BMF social worker will be assigned to each patient’s One-to-One Fund and will assist them every step of the way.
Submission of the photo and story constitutes consent for both to be used on the Foundation’s website, social media profiles, and other communications.
All donations to the One-to-One Funds are tax-deductible and The Bone Marrow Foundation will provide each donor (who provides contact information) with a tax receipt. The Foundation cannot provide receipts for any contributions that do not pass through the One-to-One Fund, and donations given directly to the patient are not tax-deductible.
Donations can be made by credit card, check, money order or through the Foundation’s website.
USE OF FUNDS
One-to-One Funds may be used to cover costs associated with the transplant or the necessary living expenses. These may include:
- donor search, testing and related expenses
- medical treatment
- health insurance premiums and co-pays
- medication and medical supplies
- home and day care
- psychosocial support
- sperm banking
- cord blood banking
- legal fees
- living and housing expenses (ex. rent, utilities, groceries, etc.)
- caregiver expenses related to transplant
One-to-One Funds may not be used for:
- fundraising costs
- reimbursement for lost wages
- repayment of personal loans
For questions about other expenses, contact The Bone Marrow Foundation. Requests for disbursement from the fund must be accompanied by a receipt or invoice for the expense in question.
The Bone Marrow Foundation reserves the right to deviate from these Guidelines on a case-by-case basis when special circumstances arise.